Prolife people are invited to the 50th Annual Conference sponsored by Right to Life of Michigan. Be a part of this inspiring day filled with compelling information, inspiring speakers, and strategy sessions to promote a culture of life.
The Annual Conference includes breakfast, lunch, two general sessions, and workshops.
2023 members and students are eligible for a discounted price if registered through Grand Rapids Right to Life by September 6.
General Session I: Jessica Hanna, Guest Speaker
Jessica Hanna is an entrepreneur, pharmacist, and Catholic home-schooling mother of four. Hanna was diagnosed with breast cancer in December of 2020 when she was only 14 weeks pregnant. Termination of the baby, although suggested, was not an option for her. Hanna abandoned everything at the foot of the Cross, and now she spreads her amazing story to help others realize the sanctity of life and the sanctity in suffering.
General Session II: Theresa Henderson, Guest Speaker
Even though Theresa Henderson was conceived in rape, she grew up in a home of love with her mother and grandmother. God had a special plan for her which included becoming a certified nurse anesthetist, the mother of six, grandmother of 15, and great-grandmother of five. All of those generations were possible because her mother chose life. Henderson has a beautiful testimony about life and love.
- Social Media
- Resources to Make a Difference
- How to Take Your Affiliate to the Next Level
- Talking about Life Issues
Since 1987, believers have gathered nationwide on the first Sunday of every October to prayerfully stand for life. Since 1973, legalized abortion-on-demand has killed more than 63,000,000 unborn children in the United States.
Grand Rapids Right to Life supports the efforts of Life Chain, a peaceful and prayerful public witness of prolife individuals standing for 90 minutes praying for our nation and for an end to abortion.
This visual statement of solidarity by the Christian community attests to the fact that abortion kills children and that the sanctity of human life must be protected from the moment of conception until natural death.
Join with hundreds of people in Grand Rapids, and tens of thousands of people nationwide, for a time of collective prayer to end abortion in our nation.
Signs for Life Chain may be picked up on Sunday, October 1, at:
- Crestwood School on 44th Street east of Breton Road
- SE corner of 44th Street and Buchanan Avenue
- NE corner of 44th Street and Burlingame Avenue
- Brummel’s parking lot near the NW corner of 44th Street and Clyde Park Avenue
Donate Baby Items:
- Donations of wipes, diapers, formula, clothing, and other baby essentials accepted
- Drop off at a location listed above
- Stand along 44th Street between Breton Road and Ivanrest Avenue.
- Stand 20 feet apart, but keep small children close.
- Stand on the public sidewalk.
- Do not block the sidewalk, intersections, or driveways.
- If standing is difficult, you may bring a chair.
- At 3:30 PM return the signs to your pick-up location.
- Remember that the main focus is prayer.
National ProLife T-shirt Day is not just for students; it’s for anyone who believes that all life, born and unborn, should be protected. It is a day when prolife people can do something in unity to help spread the message of life.
To encourage participation, all Grand Rapids Right to Life T-shirts are $2 off during the month of October. Check out the different colors, messages, cuts, and material in the online store.
Wear the Message
To celebrate National Prolife T-shirt Day, people of all ages are encouraged to wear their convictions about the sanctity of human life.
Everyone can wear some cool prolife gear, promote their prolife values, and possibly change some hearts and minds. This event was designed to help even the most timid feel empowered to speak up on behalf of the innocent and defend the weak.
During the month of October, save $2 and purchase a new prolife T-shirt to celebrate the precious gift of human life in style.
- $20 new design “Thy Life is a Miracle” is now only $18
- $20 tri-blend fabrics are now only $18
- $15 classic styles are now only $13
- All items are available for pick-up at the Grand Rapids Right to Life office.
- $5 minimum shipping charge will be added to orders that are mailed.
- No other discounts may be applied.
As part of the fall campaign for 40 Days for Life, Grand Rapids Right to Life has adopted a day at the peaceful vigil.
Grand Rapids Right to Life supporters will pray for 12 hours on Thursday, October 5, in front of Planned Parenthood. Participants are asked to remain on the public sidewalk in front of the abortion facility and pray for one hour.
40 Days for Life is a grassroots campaign to end abortion through prayer, fasting, community outreach, and by holding a peaceful prayer vigil in front of an abortion facility.
Planned Parenthood Services in Grand Rapids
- Medical Abortions (The Pill) up to 11 weeks by appointment
- Abortion Referrals
- Emergency Contraception (The Morning-After Pill) on a walk-in basis
- Choose one hour to pray in front of the abortion facility.
- Prayer booklets are available for those who participate.
Prayer Vigil Reminders
- Park on city streets.
- Bring umbrellas, windbreakers, hats, and hand warmers if needed.
- Do not hesitate to leave the vigil if for any reason you are not comfortable.
- Bring prayer aids such as a Bible, rosary, or prayer booklet.
- Focus on praying not protesting.
- Contact Laura to be a part of this powerful effort to end abortion.
The 36th annual Focus on Life Benefit Dinner will be the largest prolife banquet in Michigan, will incorporate 25 student volunteers, and will feature actor, director, and producer Kevin Sorbo.
Guest Speaker: Kevin Sorbo
Kevin Sorbo is best known for his series Hercules, which became the most watched TV show in the world. Later he played Captain Dylan Hunt on Gene Roddenberry’s Andromeda and starred in over 60 movies, including Let There Be Light, Soul Surfer, What If, and the independent movie God’s Not Dead. Sorbo is an actor, director, and producer, as well as author of the books True Strength and Think Positive for Kids.
Sorbo has a deep Christian faith, conservative political views, and is ardently prolife. In a commentary for CNS News, Sorbo wrote, “Secular humanists have made the word abortion sound like a woman’s right, synonymous with health care. We dress it up with ‘my body, my choice,’ but it is still a life inside of a woman’s womb, and that life is still extinguished by the brutal procedure of abortion.”
Emcee: Bernadette Smith
Bernadette Smith serves as the Michigan Republican Party’s Ethnic Vice Chair. She has been married to her husband, Pastor Philip Smith, for 30+ years. Together they have pastored Eternal Word Church in Grandville for more than 20 years. They raised eight children, seven on earth and one in heaven, with biblical and conservative values.
Grand Rapids Right to Life Update
Grand Rapids Right to Life president, Laura Alexandria, will give an update on the organization’s accomplishments in the past year.
- Following the event, Kevin Sorbo will sell his books and DVDs.
- Prices range from $20 – $50.
- Cash sales only.
- 5:30 PM – No-Host Bar in the Secchia Lobby. Credit card purchases only.
- 6:30 PM – Program Begins
- To purchase tickets with a check, submit a completed registration form.
- To purchase tickets with a credit card, click here. Processing fees will apply.
- A limited number of high school students are needed to volunteer at this event.
- To secure your spot, contact Laura by September 25.
- It is recommended that tickets be purchased by September 25, 2023.
- Seat assignments will be mailed to ticket holders by October 1, 2023.
- All ticket sales are final.
- Any tickets not used will be considered a donation to Grand Rapids Right to Life.
Death is not a solution to the challenges of life.
Euthanasia is expressly intended to cause the death of a person, either by lethal injection, assisting in suicide, or withholding basic levels of care from non-terminal people.
It is humane to allow a person suffering from a terminal illness to die naturally, without the use of extraordinary medical treatment that only prolongs the dying process. When a person has clearly reached their last days, the focus of medical treatment may be switched from curing to caring, but never to killing.
- Anita Cameron, Director of Minority Outreach, Not Dead Yet
- Genevieve Marnon, Senior Policy Expert, Advocates for Better Care
- Betty Odello,President, Scholl Institute of Bioethics
- Edward Rivet, Policy and Historical Expert on Assisted Suicide
- Alex Schadenberg, Executive Director, Euthanasia Prevention Coalition
- Wesley Smith, Legal Consultant, Patients Rights Council
- Peter Wolfgang, Executive Director, Family Institute of Connecticut
Be a part of the Michigan March for Life on November 8, 2023!
The Michigan March for Life is an excellent opportunity for advocates for life of all ages and political persuasions from across the state to join with one voice on behalf of the defenseless. A strong showing of support on the first anniversary of the devastating passage of pro-abortion Proposal 3 sends a powerful message to elected officials, the citizens of Michigan, and the nation at large.
Come and peacefully advocate for the protection of all human life from conception to natural death.
- 11:00 AM – Rally at the Capitol
- 12:00 NN – Michigan March for Life
- Chuck Gaidica, former anchor and meteorologist on WDIV-TV, will be the emcee.
- Bishop Earl Boyea, Diocese of Lansing, will open the rally in prayer.
- Genecia Davis, keynote speaker, will share her story of abortion and redemption.
- Barbara Listing, President of Right to Life of Michigan, will discuss the path ahead.
- Jeannie Mancini, President of March for Life, will discuss the prolife movement.
- Mildred “Missy” Parker-Miller will talk about the beauty of fostering over 35 children.
- Dr. Michelle Monticello, OB-GYN, will highlight the pregnancy care services available.
- State Senator Thomas Albert (MI – 18th Senate District)
- Representative Jaime Greene (MI – 65th House District)
- Pastor Chris Brooks, Woodside Bible Church in Troy, will close the rally in prayer.
Bus Trip from Grand Rapids to Lansing
- $25 per person
- Departure location and time T.B.D.
- Registration form and payment due by October 16.
- Make checks payable to Grand Rapids Right to Life.
Submit Payment and Registration Form To:
Grand Rapids Right to Life
MI March for Life Bus Trip
PO Box 901
Grand Rapids, MI 49509-0901
This event is sponsored by Right to Life of Michigan and March for Life.
As we work together to protect the precious gift of human life, here are some simple ways that you can help Grand Rapids Right to Life make a difference in our community.
Wish List Items
Forever stamps are useful for notes to donors and supporters.
Disposable coffee cups with lids come in handy when working with volunteers.
$5 and $10 Meijer gift cards provide fresh snacks for gatherings.
Pre-formed coin wrappers in all denominations make Coins for Kids drives easy.
For mailings, it is essential to have Avery 5160 mailing labels.
Gift cards to Subway provide sustenance for gatherings.
For promotional flyers, any color of card stock paper is great.
Mini candy bars are very popular at expos and student events.
$5 and $10 Staples gift cards are vital for office supplies.
Bottled water or premium coffee can be shared with volunteers.
- May be dropped off at or shipped to the Grand Rapids Right to Life office.
- May be ordered online from our Wish List.
Grand Rapids Right to Life is hosting bus trips to Washington, DC, for the 51st annual March for Life.
On January 22, 1973, the United States Supreme Court passed the Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion-on-demand through all nine months of pregnancy in all fifty states. On June 24, 2022, this egregious decision was overturned in the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization decision. In a 6-3 ruling, the issue of abortion was returned to the states.
The necessary work to build a culture of life is not finished. Many national legislative battles loom, including keeping longstanding Hyde protections in place, which limit government funding for abortion on annual appropriation bills. The Hyde Amendment has saved over 2 million lives, but it cannot be taken for granted.
In addition to protecting life through national laws, the ultimate goal is to make abortion unthinkable.
The March for Life is a peaceful demonstration and a witness to the truth concerning the greatest human rights violation of our time. It is also a celebration of life.
March for Life Events
- March for Life Seminars and Booths
- March for Life Youth Rally and Concert
- Mass at National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- National Pro-Life Prayer Service
- Youth Mass and Rally at Verizon Center
- Prayerful Protest at Planned Parenthood
- Capitol Hill 101
- Rose Dinner Gala
- Attendees are able to design a trip that fits their schedule and budget.
- Download all itinerary options and a registration form.
- A non-refundable deposit of $100 is accepted to reserve your spot.
- Final payment is due by January 5, 2024.